Working out has become part of the lifestyle of many people today. This can be attributed to the increased public awareness of the impact of regular exercise on our health.
Proof of this trend is the number of home workout machines one can find online such as treadmills, elliptical machines, and bikes. One type, though, has stood out because it offers a more comfortable workout than other home gym equipment. The semi-recumbent bike is an excellent choice for people who want to exercise at home but still be comfortable. It is highly recommended for individuals who have nagging joint and back pain problems yet wanting to lose extra pounds.
Here is the table of some of the best semi recumbent bikes.
What is a semi-recumbent bike?
As you may deduce from the name, a semi-recumbent bike is a cross between an upright and recumbent bike. The design of this workout machine gives it an inherent advantage over other home gym equipment. In a semi-recumbent bike, you can work out while your body is in a natural and reclined position. Thereâ€™s no need for you to bend your back unlike when you use an upright fitness bike.
Many people describe sitting on a semi-recumbent bike as sitting on a sofa. This results in less pain and aches felt in the rear.
The position your body assumes while working out on a semi-recumbent bike will reduce body fatigue. Moreover, your desire to continue working out will greatly improve because you are in a more comfortable body position.
Your back will also be spared from pain and discomfort when you work out on a semi-recumbent bike. The seat can be adjusted by sliding it backward or forward. It is also typically well padded. Working out on a semi-recumbent bike is also good for your joints. Your knees and ankles are shielded from serious injury.
Best Semi-recumbent Bikes of 2019
#1. Exerpeutic WORKFIT 1000: For Workaholic People
Do you wish to work out while reading or answering emails and doing other work-related tasks? Then the Exerpeutic Workfit 1000 is the one for you.
This is not just a workout machine but also a work platform. With this bike, you can exercise while working.
It can accommodate users who weigh up to 300 pounds. The desktop is also adjustable, with three angle and five height adjustments. It can hold up to a 17-inch laptop.
You can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, with this semi-recumbent bike.
Comfort: This is one of the most comfortable bikes you can use. It has an oversized AirSoft seat that can keep you cool even if you have been sitting on it for hours. It also has a large and cushioned backrest with a 1.3 inch thick foam.
You may think foam builds up heat. But this seat allows air to pass through it to prevent prevent you from causing discomfort due to the heat build-up in long workout sessions.
Adjustability: You can adjust the resistance level of the bike by turning a knob. There are eight levels of resistance that you can choose from.
The backrest is also angled strategically to offer maximum comfort. The height of the backrest is also adjustable which is great advantage of added comfort for tall people to support their entire back.
Console: The bike has a small console which displays time, distance, speed, and pulse rate (using pulse sensors on the handlebars).
The bike also comes with odometer which calculates the cumulative distance covered while driving.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”POSITIVES:”]
- lets users work while they exercise
- folds up for easy storage
- is comfortable with a cushioned seat and backrest
- has adjustable resistance levels
- electronic readout is very basic and small
- can easily get wobbly
Exerpeutic ExerWorK 1000 Fully Adjustable Desk Folding Exercise Bike with Pulse
1 used from $216.00
- Sliding Desktop: large fully adjustable desktop with tilt, forward, back, up and down adjustability for sitting or standing positions. 3 angle adjustments (0, 16 and 33 degrees), 5 height adjustments 41" up to 45". Storage Drawer. Arm rest. LCD Computer
- Patented XBike Desk and Exercise Semi-Recumbent Bicycle. 2.5" Thick large AirSoft seat with extra comfort. Adjustable to fit 5’1” to 6’3” user height
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs. Semi-recumbent design for comfortable, effective workouts
- Folds up for storage. The bike can still fold up when fully assembled, with a foot print of 21.3" L x 25.5" W
- An 8 level Magnetic Tension control system allows the user to adjust the tension level for an easier or more difficult workout. The actual work surface is 24 inches (W) x 16 inches (H) and it can hold objects up to 44 pounds
#2. Exerpeutic 400XL: Best Entry-Level Bike
Do you live in an apartment or condo where space is limited? Or do you wish to buy a semi-recumbent bike without breaking the bank?
The Exerpeutic 400XL is a folding type that is ideal for people who live in small houses as it can be folded up and rolled away. It is fairly easy to unfold and fold the bike, with a couple of safety pins that secure it.
The drive is V-belt. The drive is very silent due to the belt system.
Comfort:Â Comfort is not compromised as it features a large seat and cushioned back rest. The seat can be adjusted for users who stand up to 6 feet 2 inches.
This is a solidly built bike. It is also very stable and doesnâ€™t wiggle at all when pedaling.
The pedals also are very comfortable and comes with straps to easy slide in your shoes.
Adjustability: There are eight resistance levels in this bike. You will be impressed at how quiet this bike is even at high speed. The resistance is adjusted manually.
This is bike has a maximum user weight capacity of 300 pounds.
The height of the seat can be easily adjusted. You need to turn the knob, until the seat becomes adjustable and screw back the knob to the pre-set hole.
Console: The console is operated by a 2 AAA batteries. The console display is auto turn on and off based on whether you are pedaling or not. The LCD displays you the basic data along with pulse rate.
You need to have your hands placed on the handlebar’s sensors to get the pulse levels accurately. Do note that the handlebars are present at the sides of the seat.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”POSITIVES:”]
- folds up easily and quickly which makes it a great choice for people with limited space
- is very solid and doesnâ€™t wiggle when the user pedals it
- has a large seat and cushioned back rest
- is quiet even at high speed
- Calorie/time tracker doesnâ€™t work most of the time
- computer screen is small
Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
$126.99 in stock
2 used from $116.83
- Foldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system
- Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control system
- Easy-to-read LCD display tracks your distance, calories, time, speed, and heart rate
- Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit; large seat cushion and backrest
- Supports up to 300 pounds; Product setup dimensions: 33"L x 19"W x 46"H
#3. Sunny Health & Fitness Foldable Semi-recumbent Bike
Do you wish to include your arms and upper body in your workouts? Then this is the semi-recumbent bike that you should get.
Adjustability: This bike features arm resistance bands that can target your biceps, pectorals and other major muscle groups of the upper body. It is one of the few semi-recumbent bikes that also target the upper body.
The cycling bike also features eight levels of resistance. The bike features a magnetic belt drive mechanism designed to keep it reliable all the time. Due to this magnetic resistance, maintenance of the bike is not required regularly.
The bike is also very silent and do not make noise like that of bike with friction resistance.
Comfort: The seat of this bike is well padded aside from comfortable. The backrest of the bike is also well padded and offers good comfort.
It can accommodate individuals who weigh as much as 265 pounds.
You can track your fitness progress with the digital monitor. After using this bike, simply fold it and place it under your bed.
This bike is suitable if you are above 5ft tall. If you are shorter than 5ft, you may not want to go with this bike as it may be hard for you to reach the pedal.
Console:Â The bike also comes with a basic console that displays data like time, speed, distance and calories.[wpsm_column size=”one-half”][wpsm_pros title=”POSITIVES:”]
- can also target the upper body aside from the lower body
- features eight levels of resistance
- has a comfortable seat
- is foldable and space-savingâ€‹
- Its user weight capacity is limited
- The backrest cannot be adjusted
Sunny Health & Fitness Foldable Semi Recumbent Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike w/Pulse Rate Monitoring, Adjustable Arm Resistance Bands and LCD Monitor - SF-B2710
$164.71 in stock
4 used from $123.53
- TOTAL BODY: The durable arm and leg resistance bands allow targeting of various muscles while maintaining a full range of motion. Tighten & tone muscles while you enhance flexibility, strengthen your core and lose weight
- MAGNETIC TENSION: Build endurance by customizing the adjustable resistance levels. Adjustable pedal straps for added safety. Tighten and tone muscles while you enhance flexibility, strengthen your core and lose weight
- SPACE SAVER DESIGN: Compact design allows you to fold and store your machine. The transportation wheels and folding capabilities of the total body fitness machine gives you control of your workout and in-home space!
- COMFORTABLE & ADJUSTABLE SEAT: Wide, padded seat holds up to 265 lbs. allowing for a comfortable and longer ride. The stationary bike is also built with a backrest for added support.
- DIGITAL MONITOR: Monitor your distance, speed, time and heart rate to see how hard you working and have fun watching those calories burn off to keep you motivated.
Things to look for in semi-recumbent bikes
In choosing a semi-recumbent bike, you should consider the following factors:
- Weight Capacity
- Extra Features
In shopping for a semi-recumbent bike, youâ€™ll have to look first at the space you have at home. It is a good idea to measure the space you have in your room where you plan to place the bike, and then compare them with the dimensions of the semi-recumbent bike that you are interested in buying.
But what if you live in a condo or apartment where space is limited? The good news is that there are foldable semi-recumbent bikes that can come in handy to people like you. A foldable semi-recumbent bike can be tucked away when not in use.
As mentioned earlier, semi-recumbent bikes are popular because they can make workouts more comfortable. Thus it is important to find a semi-recumbent bike that can keep you comfy throughout your workout.
The seat of the semi-recumbent bike should be well padded. Some high-end models even come with ventilated seats to keep the user cool.
The pedal of the semi-recumbent bike can also affect the comfort level. Adjustable pedals are highly desirable as these can easily fit the shoes.
You should also look into the handlebars of the semi-recumbent bike. The best ones are textured so users will have a firm grip on them.
Adjusting the tension resistance can make workouts more or less challenging. Entry level bikes usually have a manual pedal tension, meaning you simply turn a knob to change the resistance level.
More advanced bikes feature digital pedal tension adjustment, wherein you have to press a button on the LCD screen to change pedal resistance.
Most semi-recumbent bikes have a weight capacity of 300 pounds. But if you weigh more than that, then you naturally have to look for one with a higher weight capacity.
Extra features arenâ€™t the first things youâ€™ll look for in a semi-recumbent bike. But these features can affect your buying decision especially if you are choosing between two bikes.
One nice feature to have in a semi-recumbent bike is the LCD screen. Entry-level machines typically have small screens while more expensive ones have bigger and backlit LCD screens. Of course, the bigger the screen is, the easier for you to view information like calories burned, time and heart rate.
There are also models with integrated water bottle holders and fans. These features come in handy for people who work out for hours.
You can keep yourself fit at home with a semi-recumbent bike. Unlike other home gym equipment, this type of fitness bike can make you comfortable during your workouts. There are plenty of semi-recumbent bikes available on the market. In shopping for one, you have to remember factors like the available space in your home, comfort and resistance levels of the unit.
You should also take into account extra features and the maximum user weight capacity of the semi-recumbent bike. If youâ€™re clueless on which semi-recumbent bike to get, why donâ€™t consider the Exerpeutic WORKFIT 1000? Itâ€™s a home gym machine that will let you exercise while working on your laptop.
The Exerpeutic 400XL is a good choice, too, if you simply want a basic semi-recumbent bike.
In case you want a bike that can let you work out your upper body, then the Sunny Health & Fitness Foldable Semi-recumbent bike should be on your shortlist.