Fan bikes are the most unique when it comes to exercise bikes. The resistance to the riding of these bikes will be provided by the fan that rotates faster as you pedal faster. The large fan is fitted in place of the flywheel.
In addition to the resistance, these rotating fans also offer you a cool breeze for enjoying your riding experience. This feature enables you to enjoy long workout sessions comfortably without any tiredness, especially in hot summers.
The best part about most of the fan bikes is the unlimited resistance levels. Harder you pedal, the more resistance the bike offers.
The extent of this insanity is endless if you have enough strength in your leg muscles. The fan bikes are also built to withstand such intense cycling.
Finding a good fan bike for the money may be a little trickier without any prior knowledge about them. Here in this post, I’ll be presenting you with some of the best fan bikes you can buy.
Best Air Resistance Fan Bikes
#1. Schwinn Airdyne Pro
Build and feel: The bike is built by taking high-intensity training into account. The drive is by belt mechanism that’s relatively quieter when compared to the chain drive that comes with typical spin bikes.
The body is made of aluminum and metal to ensure good durability. This makes the bike to be easily usable in your home or gym setup. The steel cranks that hold the pedals are very solid and can withstand good abuse while training intensely.
The bike is made of a fusion of metal, plastic, and aluminum. The bike does not have all metal construction so it does not make loud sounds while spinning.
The bike flaunts belt drive rather than a chain drive. It makes use of heavy-duty belts used in cars, that required no maintenance and incredibly durable.
Comfort: The padding of the seat is great than that of spin bikes. As the fan bikes are typically used for longer durations, extra care has been given to the comfort that the seat offers.
The seat can be adjusted in all the 4 ways so as to make it the most comfortable bike for you.
The seat can also be replaced in case if you damage the seat somehow, as they are made taking universal standards into account.
The handlebars are movable for upper body workouts and also multi-positional. You can hold the handlebar either vertically or horizontally as per your wish.
The fan does a great job of offering you good resistance and a nice breeze as you work out motivating you to pedal much harder.
Compared to other fan bikes, the noise produced by this bike is less.
Console: The display console is of high contrast and easily visible even in bright sunlight. It displays information such as time, distance, RPM, Calories burnt, Pulse, etc.
For the price, this bike also comes with different preset programs for target goals and aerobic training.
Overall, this is a good bike if you want a fan bike with all the features like console and programs.
Schwinn Airdyne Pro Exercise Bike, Silver
$999.00 in stock
- Single-stage belt drive for instant activation and a smooth, more efficient and effective workout
- Progressive wind resistance technology to meet the needs of beginning exercisers to those recovering from an injury to elite athletes
- The custom-designed 26-blade fan enables users to burn more calories on the Airdyne Pro bike compared to a leading competitor fan bike at the same RPM
- The console features a tachometer that visually signals how hard you're exercising, which is a motivational tool that begs you to bury the needle
- Built-in HIIT programs like 20/10 or 30/90 offer challenges for better results
#2. LifeCORE Fitness Assault Air Bike Trainer
This is the most popular fan bike I’ve encountered. It is loved by most fitness professionals.
Build and feel: This bike is meant to be used in theÂ home. These are well suited for low impact cardiovascular workout that’s easy on the joints.
The bike flaunts a solid frame, with 20 solidÂ ball-bearings that ensureÂ a smooth riding experience. The bike is sturdy enough to withstand high impact cardio workouts without any wobbling.
The bike also comes with 4 levelers to ensure that the bike won’t rock more on uneven surfaces. This is a great feature that you witness in a few of the bikes.
The frame warranty is for 5 years. That’s decent. The bike is indeed very strongly built.
The bike also comes with an upper-body workout. This is great for low-impact total body workout.
The bike has a chain drive, which means you need to lubricate the chain half-yearly or so.
Comfort: The seats are very comfortable. However, it’s not a fit for all. If you find the seat a bit uncomfortable for you, you can invest in a good seat pad or gel cover for a good riding experience for a longer time.
One of the areas in which this LifeCORE bike excels over the previously reviewed Airdyne bike, the bike is adjustable horizontally too.
If you are a short person who is stretching hard to reach your hands to the handlebars, you can easily pull the seat nearer to the handlebar for comfort. The seat is completely adjustable.
Coming to the pedals they are normal bike pedals. This meansÂ they don’t have toe straps or cages. If you do anÂ intense workout, some of the times you may lose grip over the pedals.
But the pedals are standardized and easily replaceable. Â You can swap in a pair of durable Sunlite pedals for comfort that comes with toe straps and cages.
Accessories:Â The bike comes with a console that displays all the necessary data to keep you working out.
The LifeCORE’s official website also has some of the accessories like comfortable seat pad, air deflector, cup holder, and official floor mat to set the bike on.
Although the bike is easy and straightforward to assemble, the instruction manual is out of date and does not serve the purpose.
Assault AirBike Classic, Black
$699.00 in stock
- Twenty Sealed Ball Bearings throughout the frame and pivot points to provide a smooth and durable feel
- Unlimited Resistance for upper and lower body extremities based on Air Resistance; Get a complete Cross-Fit Workout
- Computer features motivational programs providing many programs (Tabata, Intervals, Watts, Heart Rate) to accomplish your fitness goals
- Maximum user weight: 350 pounds . Twenty Five inch diameter steel fan delivers maximum resistance, with six way adjustable seat fore and aft, up and down and tilt. Square-tapered design
- Set a calorie, distance, or time target goal with the advanced computer display ; Integrated messaging to help inspire you keeps the workout fresh
#3. Schwinn AD6 Airdyne
The AD6 has evolved greatly when compared to the previous AD2 model which is still selling greatly. The AD2 has a single-stage belt drive. But this model comes with a dual-stage belt that offers a more natural pedaling experience.
In the AirDyne 6 model, the comfort of the seat is also great with extra padding, with no need for another seat pad or gel cover. It also supports greater user weights up to 300lbs when compared to 250lbs the previous model supports.
Build and feel: The bike is very stable and can withstand power cardio workouts easily. The frame comes with 4 levelers to prevent the bike from wobbling while pedaling faster.
When compared to the popular previous model AD2, the AD6 is certainly a good upgrade in terms of build quality and comfort.
The dual-stage belt system offers great smoothness for your ride and durability for the bike. Yes, they are maintenance-free. The seat is this bike is also large and padded thickly, giving you more comfort while spinning than that of previous variants.
Comfort: The seat is padded thickly and comfortable than most of the fan bikes we’ve reviewed in this post. But the problem is that the seat may be still uncomfortable if you have a larger butt – as usual with many of the exercise bikes. You just need to get used to it.
The pedal is smooth and easy to reach even for a short person.
UnlikeÂ LifeCORE Fitness Assault bike, the pedals come with toe straps and cage to prevent slipping while working out intensely.
Accessories: Console shows you 6 workout metrics to keep you motivated. The bike also includesÂ RevMeter RPM gauge which is kind of fun to hustle harder.
The bike also comes with a water bottle holder. This seems like an obvious feature, but some of the bikes like LifeCORE Fitness AssaultÂ sell it as a separate accessory.
Although you seldom get thirsty during the workout due to the breeze offered by the fan, at times, it’s essential for you to put the shaker bottle in place.
Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Exercise Bike
$599.00 in stock
- Single-stage belt drive keeps it running quietly
- Progressive wind resistance system offers infinite levels of challenge
- RevMeter RPM gage for interval training
- Self-balancing foot pedals with foot straps
- Quiet, frictionless fan that keeps you cool
#4. Marcy Air 1 Fan Exercise Bike
This is a good affordable fan bike, for those who don’t want to shell out some huge money in buying premium fan bikes I reviewed above.
Build and feel: The bike is very sturdy and you can easily lean in any direction without the verge of falling. The bike grounds firmly without any rocking.
The bike also includes transport wheels, so that you can move it to and fro without any hassles.
You’ll surely love the smoothness of the ride you experience.
Honestly, this bike is not good for high-intensity workouts.
Comfort: The seat that comes with this bike is quite larger than other fan bikes in this range and padded greatly. If you are an extra comfy lover use a gel cover.
The seat height can be adjusted with a knob. The tall people above 6.2 ft may find itÂ very easy to reach the pedal. This may be a downside for them as they may not get their desired leg-stretch workout for flexibility. This issue won’t be solved even if the seat is set at its highest position.
The pedals are strong and shafts holding the pedals are built greatly. The pedals includeÂ the strap to slip in your sneakers.
Accessories: The bike comes with an LCD console that is powered by 2 AA batteries. The console tracks some basic metrics like time, distance, calories burnt and others. However, the bike lacks the heart rate monitoring mechanism.
If you are looking to get a bike with pulse monitoring to push yourself to be in the fat-burning zone, this bike may not be for you.
Marcy Exercise Upright Fan Bike for Cardio Training and Workout AIR-1
$349.99 in stock
1 used from $699.99
- PREMIUM STEEL FRAMEWORK-This multifunctional equipment features a premium steel frame that combines design and performance. Constructed from 14-gauge steel tubing with scratch-resistant and powder coated finished, this bike boasts durability in its uses
- DUAL-ACTION EXERCISE ARMS -Designed to give you an efficient and effective workout, this exercise fan bike features a pair of dual-action exercise designed to simultaneously work your upper body while targeting multiple muscle groups.
- UNIQUE RESISTANCE SYSTEM- This bike comes with an innovative resistance system that utilizes a fan instead of a weighted flywheel that increases resistance as you pedal faster and produces cool air to increase comfort and endurance while you work out.
- HIGH-TECH LCD MONITOR - The Marcy AIR-1 exercise fan bike has a LCD computer screen that acts as an odometer. The state-of-the-art sharp panel LCD screen displays time, speed, distance, and calories large enough for easy visibility.
- ADJUSTABLE SEAT POSITIONING - This stationary bike features an adjustable seat that can accommodate users of different body types. The adjustable seat facilitates proper body form during exercises and allows the body to precisely conform to the equipment.
#5. Body Rider Exercise Upright Fan Bike
This is the best and most popular entry-level bike under 100 bucks.
This is not completely a fan bike. This is actually an upright bike that blows gentle cool air with the help of a fabric strap that’s wrapped around the flywheel.
If you are willing to get unlimited fan resistance, look for any other fan bikes I mentioned above.
Build and feel: The best part about this bike is the dual-action handlebars that enable you to work out your upper body also, similar to that of bikes like LifeCORE Fitness Assault and others I’ve reviewed above. In this bike, when you pedal, the arms of the bike also move (like that of some ellipticals).
The assembling of this bike is very simple. You just need to assemble the handlebars, seat and pedals. Everything comes pre-mounted. So, assembling the bike will be a no-brainer job.
The build quality is the quality is decent and can serve you well for years.
The bikes will be smooth for the first year or so. On prolonged use, the wheel tends to generate some noise, along with the usual sound of the rotating fan.
You also need to remember that the weight capacity of this bike is only 250lbs.
Comfort: Seat is pretty uncomfortable for most of the people I guess, especially while riding it for hours. However, this can be sorted out by buying a good gel seat cover like this that offers great comfort.
The resistance of the bike can be adjusted with the tension knob. While pedaling harder, it can be quite uncomfortable to reach the tension knob due to the handlebars that are moving to and fro as you pedal.
Accessories: The LCD displays basic metrics like time, distance, calories burnt, and others. There’s no mechanism adopted by this bike to track the heart rate and others. All the fancy features are stripped off from this bike that you usually find in the case of premium bikes.
Body Rider Exercise Upright Fan Bike (with UPDATED Softer Seat) Stationary Fitness/Adjustable Seat BRF700
$129.99 in stock
1 used from $123.49
- DUAL-ACTION EXTENDED HANDLEBARS for upper and lower body engagement
- EASY TO ADJUST RESISTANCE LEVELS and workout intensity with the turn of a knob
- HIGH MOMENTUM FAN WHEEL SYSTEM offers a fluid workout
- ADJUSTABLE SEAT and UPDATED cushion for better comfort. Care and cleaning: Wipe clean with a damp cloth
- STURDY STEEL "H" FRAME DESIGN engineered for stability and peace of mind
These are some of the best exercise fan bikes you can buy right now. The main advantages of these bikes are that they offer cool breeze and offer unlimited resistance to your workout, as the rotation of the fan itself causes resistance.
The build quality of the bike especially in the case of fan bikes is very important. Also, you need to make sure that the uncomfortable parts (if any) of the bike like seat and pedals are replaceable.
Hope you found this post on best fan bikes helpful.