People everywhere are becoming more health-conscious, and it is leading them to come up with some very innovative solutions to current problems. The standing desk is one such eccentric solution. Medical experts have already shown that sitting at a desk for 8+ hours daily is terrible for your health.
The goal that you need to achieve with a standing desk is to be more active at work. This applies to desk jobs that require you to be seated for the majority of the day. The best way to remain active while you work is to have an under desk treadmill.
Under desk treadmills are just like normal treadmills but are optimized for use under a desk in a work environment. The manufacturers do this by making them smaller, quieter, and by eliminating the armrests and fixed console.
- 1 How This List of The Best Under Desk Treadmills Was Formed
- 2 Top 5 Under Desk Treadmills on The Market
- 2.1 #1. LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 Under Desk Treadmill
- 2.2 #2. iMovR ThermoTread GT Desk Treadmill
- 2.3 #3. Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill
- 2.4 #4. LifeSpan Fitness TR5000-DT3 Under Desk Treadmill
- 2.5 #5. Conquer Under Desk Portable Electric Treadmill Walking Pad
- 2.6 Best Under Desk Treadmills Buying Guide
- 2.7 What to Look For When Buying an Under Desk Treadmill
How This List of The Best Under Desk Treadmills Was Formed
A treadmill for your standing desk is the solution for your sedentary lifestyle, but how do you find which one is the best? Our team of experts used feedback from numerous users on Facebook and other social media forums to put together this list of the best under desk treadmills.
Using this user feedback collected over time, as well as using product information supplied by the manufacturer, this list was also ranked from the best going onwards. If you’re looking for a reliable, durable and effective under desk treadmill, read this list to find out which those are.
|Best Under Desk Treadmills||USP||Rating||Buy|
|Its belt surface is large enough for most purposes.||Buy Now|
|Very rugged and rigid construction to avoid squeaking and wobbling.||Buy Now|
|It is compact enough to fit most offices.||Buy Now|
|The motor allows you to work out for most of the day without overheating.||Buy Now|
|It has no console, making it suitable for small desks.||Buy Now|
Top 5 Under Desk Treadmills on The Market
#1. LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 Under Desk Treadmill
The LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 is one of the pioneers of the desk treadmill revolution, and even today it remains one of the most popular. It is a heavy-duty piece of equipment that, while designed exclusively for the work environment, carries a decisive aspect of the gym.
One of the best features of the LifeSpan TR1200 is its solid construction. Its frame is industrial-strength steel, giving it a rigid feel. Unlike other treadmills that squeak and give after heavy use, this one will take the test of time. The manufacturer goes ahead to prove its confidence by giving you a full lifetime warranty for the frame.
Despite that, it is very portable and features transport wheels to help you take it from one place to another. It comes ready to use right from the box and weighs 119 pounds (54 kg).
For power, the LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 comes with a 2.25HP electric motor which gives a decent maximum top speed of 4 mph (6.4 kph). Given than the average walking speed is 3.1 mph, it is sufficient for all desk needs. The motor also comes with a 3-year warranty.
It is also quite large, with belt dimensions of 50”L x 20”W and an overall size of 68”L x 28.5”W x 7.25”H. That makes it wide and long enough for all types of users, and the belt sits on 6 cushioned suspension shock pads to take the impact from your feet.
To help track your performance, you have a wired console with an LED display to display such metrics such as steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned and walking belt speed. You can set such things as maximum speed preferred (2 or 4 mph), alerts, units of measurement, among others.
- The LifeSpan TR1200 is supremely reliable, with a steel frame and other durable parts.
- It has a powerful, quiet motor capable of up to 4mph walking speed.
- Its belt surface is large enough for most purposes.
- The console, while large, is good for tracking for your performance.
- It is more affordable than most.
- Outdated technology, especially regarding the display and connectivity such as Bluetooth.
- It is not as quiet as some would like it to be, mainly because it still uses older technology.
Verdict: The LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 is the same under desk treadmill that stole the hearts of many when it was introduced. The only problem is that it has grown with the times. If you prefer old school reliability, this is the best option.
- Console readouts include: distance traveled, calories burned, walk and run time, step count and adjustable belt speed of 0.4 to 4 MPH.
- The small and compact size measures at 63" x 28.5" x 7.25" (L x W x H) and has portable wheels for lightweight mobility providing space saving and storable versatility. Deck Suspension: 6 Independent Compression Shocks
#2. iMovR ThermoTread GT Desk Treadmill
The iMovR is the best desk treadmill for a quiet office environment, because of two main reasons. Firstly, it is the first under desk treadmill to be designed for the purpose from the ground up. Most others are simply remodeled gym treadmills.
Secondly, and most importantly, it features a whisper-quiet motor and a rugged design which makes it capable of dealing with multiple users all day long. Top that off with a touchscreen display on the console, and you have the perfect desk treadmill.
The iMovR ThermoTread features a 3.0Hp continuous duty motor. That means that it has no daily time limits on use. Besides, the motor manages up to 4000 RPM and has a maximum speed of 2.5 mph. It remains silent through all sorts of abuse and will not disrupt the quietest office environment.
Another advantage that the Thermotread gives you is its solid and rugged construction. It features a steel deck with additional reinforcements so that users who are as heavy as 400 lbs can use it comfortably without it creaking. The body material is tough Bakelite, which is the toughest plastic for the job.
In line with its in-office optimization strategy, the iMovR ThermoTread has a long narrow profile with a 52″L by 20″W belt walking surface. It is small enough to have minimal intrusion in your office space, but large enough that you can walk comfortably and mindlessly.
Also, the belt sits on 6 suspension cushions to take the impact from your feet and prevent joint injury.
Then, you have the most advanced console and display you can find on a desk treadmill. It features an advanced touchscreen LCD, which displays all your exercise metrics such as distance covered, time elapsed, steps taken, calorie count, speed, current user, among others. It can track different users in the office and saves all their data individually, and can sync via Bluetooth to a phone or laptop.
- It is whisper-quiet, with a noise level of only 42.7dB at ear level.
- Very rugged and rigid construction to avoid squeaking and wobbling.
- Advanced touchscreen display makes it fun and convenient to use.
- The belt is wide and well cushioned.
- The continuous-duty motor makes it possible for you to use the iMovR all day long.
- If you like to increase your pace to a brisk jog now and then, the 2.5mph top speed will feel restricted.
- The price tag is likely to put off some people.
Verdict: The iMovR ThermoTread is the closest thing to a perfect desk treadmill that you can get. All you will need to do is dig a bit deeper into your pocket, but it will never give you cause to regret it.
iMovR ThermoTread GT Desk Treadmill for Offices Measures Walking, Standing, Sitting Time, Calories Burned, Steps
- Only treadmill that tracks walking, standing and sitting! Smartphone-like touch-screen LCD console tracks walking distance, speed, steps taken, calories burned, and time, as well as standing & sitting time + calories burned.
#3. Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill
If you’re looking for a cheap but effective desk treadmill, the Titan desk treadmill is the solution. At under $500, it has all the basic functionality of a good under desk treadmill without biting too much off your pocket. Of course, you will have to live without some comforts.
First off, it has a powerful 3Hp motor with a peak of 4000rpm. The optimal drivetrain converts this to a maximum speed of 4mph walking belt speed. While most people will probably walk at a leisurely 2mph, its good to take it higher sometimes.
It is long and narrow, featuring a 53″ by 18″ walking surface. The deck is solid steel but lacks some of the reinforcements. That allows it to accommodate a maximum user weight capacity of 250 lbs.
The Titan under desk treadmill also features a cabled console that fits onto your desk. It has control buttons for various settings and an LED display function.
- The Titan is one of the cheapest functional desk treadmills.
- It is compact enough to fit most offices.
- The console is small and intuitive.
- It has a high top speed.
- Lightweight in design and affordable.
- It has a low weight capacity.
- The console cable is short, and user data for each session is not saved.
Verdict: Good desk treadmills have the disadvantage of being very expensive, but the Titan Fitness is a good compromise. It is cheap and gives a decent performance. The only compromise seems to be in terms of the console and overall strength, which you can live with if you aren’t too heavy.
- WORK OUT WHILE YOU WORK: Sitting at a desk all day can wreak havoc on your health and fitness goals. Fortunately, there's a simple solution: stop sitting and start walking! With our miniature treadmill, you can get your steps in while working. This treadmill goes up to 4 mph, so you can walk to your heart's content. This is multitasking at its finest.
#4. LifeSpan Fitness TR5000-DT3 Under Desk Treadmill
If you’re looking for a strong, heavy-duty desk treadmill, get the LifeSpan Fitness TR5000. The manufacturer has long dominated the desk treadmill landscape, and the TR5000 is one of its flagship pioneers. Even though it has been overshadowed by its sister the TR1200, it is the most rugged option.
To begin with, it comes with a powerful 3.0 Hp motor capable of continuous use for up to 8 hours a day. Its accompanying drivetrain is capable of a maximum 4mph belt speed, which lets you work up a sweat at a brisk walk.
It has a compact 45” by 18” walking surface, making the whole thing small enough for cramped spaces. The belt rests on six cushioning pads to help damp the impact of your footfalls and make it quieter. With a sturdy steel deck, the LifeSpan TR5000 can comfortably take up to 400 lbs of user weight.
It comes with the same clunky console as the other desk treadmills in the same family, such as the TR1200. It is big, designed to rest on top of your standing desk and connected via a cable. It has a basic LED display for your performance metrics and buttons, as well as clumsy Bluetooth and a USB charging port.
With such a strong design, you expect an excellent warranty. LifeSpan doesn’t disappoint here either, giving you a lifetime warranty on the frame, three years on the motor, two years on parts and one year on labor.
- Very strong and rugged, with a high weight capacity.
- Silent operation, with a 49dB noise level at the ears.
- Very durable, with a matching warranty.
- It has a high maximum speed of 4mph.
- The motor allows you to work out for most of the day without overheating.
- The price tag is too high, despite all the positives.
- The console, especially the Bluetooth connectivity, can be frustrating.
Verdict: From its days in the gym, the LifeSpan TR5000 has not lost its basic DNA. It is for the hefty fellows who don’t care about fancy consoles or high pricing. Then again, this beast will serve you until you grow weary of it.
- Get more out of your standing desk, burning more calories, reducing stress and decreasing back pain
- The DT3 portable console and compact TR800 treadmill base guarantee a seemless fit and easy placement under your stand-up desk
#5. Conquer Under Desk Portable Electric Treadmill Walking Pad
The Conquer desk treadmill is another budget option you have if you’re really strapped for cash. It is even cheaper than the Titan Fitness but is quite restricted in terms of performance.
Right off the bat, you will notice that you can’t use it for more than 90 minutes continuously (1 ½ hrs). You will have to pause, let it cool down and restart after a while. Thanks to a 1.5 CHP motor, it offers you a range of belt speeds from 0.6-3.7 mph.
Secondly, it is ultra-compact with belt dimensions of 41.5”L by 16”W, which allows it to take up as little space as possible. In an office environment, space is a premium resource so this could be a huge advantage.
Another major difference is that it lacks a console and instead features an LED display at the top of the treadmill. Control is available through a small remote control powered by AAA batteries. Again, this could be very convenient as it does not take up more space than it has to.
However, this dirt-cheap desk treadmill has another major weakness, and that is its weight capacity. Despite being made of steel, it can only handle a maximum of 198 lbs (90) kgs. However, it does have a durable, well-cushioned belt with a diagonal seam.
- Very affordable.
- Lightweight and compact.
- It has no console, making it suitable for small desks.
- It consumes minimal electric power.
- Flimsy construction with a low weight limit.
- Poor warranty.
Verdict: One of the major concerns when buying a desk treadmill is its price. That is why, despite its many limitations, the Conquer under desk treadmill is still one of the best-selling models.
- Convert a standing desk to a walking desk
- Walk while you work
- No assembly required!
- Easy remote with on/off and speed control buttons, quiet operation, 110V
- Variable treadmill speeds from 0.6-3.7 MPH, runs for 90 minutes continuously.
Best Under Desk Treadmills Buying Guide
When buying an under desk treadmill, it is essential that you do your homework carefully. That is especially true if you’re going to be using it in a shared workspace. While there aren’t that many models on the market to begin with, those available vary widely in terms of features.
There are several points that you must consider before you make your decision and order a desk treadmill.
What to Look For When Buying an Under Desk Treadmill
- Quality of the design and construction – the overall design and construction quality comes first for desk treadmills. That is because you need a machine that will perform seamlessly, quietly and reliably. It is also probable that you’re going to share it with colleagues, so it pays to make sure that the weight capacity can handle everyone in your office.
- Motor – since it is mainly a walking treadmill, the main thing to consider here will be the continuous duty capability rather than peak power. That is because, while it is useful to have the option to crank up your workout, it is useless if you can only do it for a few minutes at a time. A good motor has about 2CHP or more and can operate for at least 6 hours continuously.
- Size, weight, and portability – Again, considering the circumstances of use, you need a desk treadmill that can fit in your space without being intrusive. It should also be easy to move in and out of position for when you really need to sit and concentrate.
- Console – Often, the console is only a major consideration because it has to be placed on your desk. Thus, it needs to be small or removable. Even better, you can have syncing capabilities to your phone or laptop instead.
- Price – Price considerations are the aggregate of all the others. However, if you have a fixed budget, you will not have much wiggle room. You would do better to pay a little more and get better quality.
Whether or not you should have a desk treadmill is no longer a debate as far as experts are concerned. It pays to maintain as active a lifestyle as you can, and if you’re deskbound due to the nature of your work then a desk treadmill is your best bet.
The market is relatively new, pioneered back in 2007 by Mayo Clinic’s Dr. James Levine. Even then, there are superb under desk treadmills from various manufacturers, as you can see here. Now can make up your mind and give your health a turn for the better.