Folding Ellipticals are an ideal solution for having cardio workout equipment at home but with space limitations. You will come across ellipticals that meet your requirements and budgets, but with one downside, they are too big for your small living space.
On the other hand, compact elliptical trainers do exist, but their size may not be enough. Folding ellipticals help you accomplish your fitness needs even when there is limited space to place the machine. We present you with the best folding ellipticals that are laden with abundant features at a price that provides value.
Our blog is intended to help you make the most of your fitness goals. We carefully select products and review them in a format that you can easily read and understand. We also share tips on aspects to look out for when making purchasing decisions.
We strongly recommend that you read this review carefully and consider all options. Look around the fitness equipment stores in your area. Better still, do your research and form a mental picture of the best folding ellipticals for your gym.
|Best Folding Elliptical Machines||USP||Ratings||Buy|
|It takes you around 15 minutes to assemble the kit||Buy Now|
|Multiple users can save their profiles on this equipment||Buy Now|
|It features a foldable design for convenient storage||Buy Now|
|It features 24 built-in workouts for variety in routine selection||Buy Now|
|It has a computer rack for holding your devices||Buy Now|
- 1 Top 5 Best Folding Elliptical Machines for Compact Spaces
- 2 Buying Guide For Compact Elliptical Machine:
Top 5 Best Folding Elliptical Machines for Compact Spaces
How this Best Folding Ellipticals Review Arose
Finding the best gear for your fitness goals is not an easy task. Our objective in this blog is to make your work easy. We carefully selected the best folding ellipticals. All this work is to help you meet your goals while also saving money.
In arriving at our choice of ellipticals to review, we usually perform due diligence. This review and indeed, all the others that we do did not happen by chance. Often, we ask users to share their experiences on our Facebook page and other online forums. Their feedback forms the core of our review.
- Nordic Track SpaceSaver SE9i
- AFG Sports 5.5AE
- ProForm Smart Strider 895 CSE
- NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i
- Horizon Fitness Evolve 3
#1. Nordic Track SpaceSaver SE9i
This elliptical machine features a foldable frame, an 18-pound flywheel plus 18-inch strides. More so, it comes with a 7-inch high definition touch screen. The screen features web browsing capabilities and is also interactive with Google Maps.
The Nordic Track SpaceSaver SE9i has a wireless heart monitor, which also includes a Bluetooth chest strap. Conveniently placed controls on the handlebars ensure that you effortlessly adjust both the resistance and incline during workouts.
The 18-inch stride on this fitness trainer makes it most suitable for short people. Usually, the standard pace (or foot span) measures 20 inches. Also, the machine comes with 30 workout programs. The manufacturer has already pre-set these for you. More so, the pre-loaded Google Maps are quite scenic. The device has videos from leading personal trainers as a bonus.
- 7-inch HD touch screen
- Web browser-enabled monitor
- It takes you around 15 minutes to assemble the kit
- Extended warranty
- The SE9i has 2-inch speakers that are compatible with smart devices
- Once folded after use, the elliptical machine leaves a tiny footprint
- All controls for incline and resistance are on the handlebars
- It provides 30 exercising apps
- It has a Bluetooth strap to help you collect pulse data via wireless connectivity
- Experienced athletes will find the flywheel too light for their bodies
- At the touch of a button: Adjust your resistance between 24 different levels for a higher calorie burn using the convenient one Touch & Rag; controls.
- Heart RATE training: find the right heart RATE zone for your fitness goals using the built-in heart rate sensors and included iFit bluetooth; Smart chest strap.
#2. AFG Sports 5.5AE
The AFG Sports 5.5AE mostly targets beginners seeking to start doing regular workouts. It comes with a lifetime warranty on its frame. The machine also prides itself on having a variety of workout levels not found in other ellipticals. It offers you five workout options, all pre-programmed.
The flywheel is light, at 14.3 pounds, plus its operation is not the quietest among other ellipticals. A Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) with three parts helps you keep track of your workout progress. You can see the speed, heart rate, time spent, and distance covered. At the same time, you can save your profile; other users can save theirs too.
On the downside, both intermediate and advanced users will find the flyweight too light. Besides, this elliptical has no options for adjusting incline levels. More so, at ten settings, it has few cardio resistance levels.
- Multiple users can save their profiles on this equipment
- The keys are light with a quick response to the touch
- It has an LCD screen with three displays for viewing performance data
- It comes with a shelf for placing your mobile device
- The elliptical features a water bottle holder
- A built-in sound system for playing your exercise-themed music
- The frame has a lifetime warranty
- The equipment has only one incline option
- Ten resistance levels only
- Some users will find the 18-inch stride too short
- It does not have a wireless heart rate monitor
- Tablet connected: use your tablet along with the AFG fitness app to control your elliptical, track your workout and monitor your progress (via Bluetooth 4.0)
- Equipped with Bluetooth 5-watt speakers for wireless music streaming
#3. ProForm Smart Strider 895 CSE
The ProForm Smart Strider 895 CSE folds, making it easy to store when not in use. It features a 7-inch touchscreen and does not require a connection to a power source. Both iFit and Google Maps programs help with automatically adjusting the slope of the elliptical pedals to simulate the real terrain.
Also, the 895 CSE comes with 32 pre-set workouts. It features an 18-pound flywheel backed by 24 resistance levels. Moreover, the pedals have added padding. An 18-inch elliptical path with an adjustment option of 10 percent is another notable feature. Besides, this elliptical trainer has a flexible armbar.
Thanks to the iPod-compatible speakers, you can play your audio tracks for added motivation during cardio training. Also, the machine has a water bottle holder and a fan. As an addition, the frame has a lifetime warranty while the parts have a three-year guarantee. Upon delivery, the equipment requires little assembly.
- Minimal assembly required
- The handgrips and pedals have paddings for an enhanced hold
- It comes with 24 pre-programmed workouts
- Controls are on the handlebars
- The elliptical has 2-inch speakers that are compatible with any smartphone
- It has a water bottle holder
- It features a foldable design for convenient storage
- Lifetime warranty on the frame
- It has a weight capacity of 325 pounds
- Its resistance system is too light
- ProForm has a reputation for slow customer service
- 18 inch stride length, soft grips upper-body workout arms; oversized, adjustable, cushioned pedals; 18 lb. Effective Inertia-Enhanced flywheel, 24 resistance levels
- CoolAire workout fan, vertical SpaceSaver design, integrated tablet holder, ipod-compatible audio, rear-mounted Transport wheels, water bottle holder
#4. NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i
The NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i has a small footprint making it ideal for small living spaces. You can assemble this elliptical in 15 minutes, unlike the tedious one or two hours that other ellipticals consume. It packs 22 resistance levels coupled with an 18-pound wheel.
Besides, the SE7i features a rear-drive motor that helps propel movement on cushioned pedals translating to a smooth drive. The 18-inch stride is ideal for individuals with an average to a short height. Both short and tall trainees will enjoy the exceptional ergonomic experience delivered by this machine.
This elliptical trainer has a 5-inch display unit with a backlight for viewing, among others, your speed, time, distance covered, and calories burned. The equipment also features 24 built-in workouts from certified personal trainers that you can access via the display unit.
Other specs include a 2-inch speaker system where you can plug and play music from your devices. Also, the elliptical features a fan that adjusts to your workout speed. The frame has a warranty of 10 years, with two years for the parts and one year for labor.
- The elliptical equipment folds easily for storage and saves on space
- It features 24 built-in workouts for variety in routine selection
- The 5-inch backlit display makes it easy to read your workout statistics
- It has a tablet holder conveniently located above the display console
- The incline has an adjustable rate of up to 8-degrees.
- At 5 inches, the display unit is small compared to other ellipticals in the foldable category
- Nordic has models with a higher incline than that in the SE7i
- Easy storage after your intense workout, 18 lb Effective flywheel, 18 inch stride length, Transport wheels
- Vertical Space Saver design, 0 to 10 degree power adjustable incline, smr silent magnetic resistance; 24 preset workouts for pro training
#5. Horizon Fitness Evolve 3
The Evolve 3 comes with a one-step foldable frame and a three-step easy assembly. You do not require professional help to set up this elliptical trainer in your home. The Evolve 3 features 32 pre-set workout programs with an automatic resistance control. It also has an 18-pound drive wheel.
Its ergonomic design is excellent, plus the machine is ideal for beginners. For enhanced progress monitoring, the elliptical machine has a 5.5-inch LCD screen with a backlight. Among the components, you can keep track of are:
- Distance covered
- Time spent
- Heartbeat rate, and
- Calories burned
It comes with ViaFit software that is compatible with most mobile devices, plus you can also connect to your social media accounts. This trainer is also iPod-compatible thanks to the aspect that comes complete with a connection dock and a set of speakers for audio-enhanced exercising.
Grip sensors placed on the handlebars ensure that you monitor your heart rate effectively. Besides, Evolve 3 has a water bottle holder and a rack for holding your tablet. The manufacturer provides a lifetime guarantee on the frame, three years on parts, and one year on labor.
- Lifetime warranty on the frame
- Easy assembly of the equipment in three steps
- It is foldable and has a small footprint for convenient storage
- Added specs such as iPod dock and speakers for audio
- It has a water bottle holder
- ViaFit software for fitness tracking online
- It has a computer rack for holding your devices
- Presence of pulse readers on the handlebar grips
- It has an interactive video player that comes at an extra cost
- It does not feature wireless monitoring for the heart rate, an aspect that is available in other elliptical trainers
- There is no incline feature
- Advanced Bluetooth connects to multiple devices to stream media through integrated speakers
- Includes free app to control your workout and push data to favorite fitness apps, plus device holder and rapid-charge USB port
Our Verdict and What Did We Find Out about folding Elliptical Machines?
We noticed that most users loved the Nordic Track SpaceSaver SE9i. The fan, touch screen, and ease of assembly are some of the strong points that users pointed. However, it is massive, and you might need an extra pair of hands when offloading it from the delivery truck. Also, some people felt that the instructions provided on the user’s manual were scanty and should have more detail.
Regarding the AFG Sports 5.5AE, we found out that it did not pose any issues with the assembly. Besides, users considered it stable owing to the bulkiness. We realized that indeed, it runs quietly during a workout even though you need a mat to protect your floor from damage. However, user support from the manufacturers is wanting.
Moving on to the ProFrom Smart Strider 895 CSE, we found out that users experienced hitches with customer service at ProForm. The company needs to improve on this. Also, some stated that the display kept going on and off. You might need a little help from a techie. Nonetheless, we noted that users love the digital display, plus the resistance is sturdy.
The NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i comes with most of its parts pre-assembled. However, we discovered that some of the parts needed tightening. To get the best out of the product, you need to check that all components work fine. You might have to re-assemble it all over again. More than that, we found out that the elliptical machine is not only big but also bulky.
Finally, on the Horizon Fitness Evolve 3, we found out that it is effortless to use this elliptical trainer. Besides, customer service is on point. The service team responds very fast to queries. However, users reckoned that you need to set the machine on Energy-Saver mode. Otherwise, it might wobble a bit and generate some noise during operation.
Buying Guide For Compact Elliptical Machine:
We settled on the Nordic Track SpaceSaver SE9i as our folding elliptical of choice. It is a high-end model, foldable, and easy to store when you are not using it. However, that is not the central aspect since all the other five models have a similar feature.
All the same, the SpaceSaver SE9i is easy to assemble, you only need about 15 minutes. Other elliptical trainers can take up to two hours tops. The SE9i has an excellent ergonomic design plus an adjustable incline, and a wide array of resistances make it ideal for all types of trainers.
However, the SE9i is pricier in comparison to the other four models. The price affords you benefits such as a 7-inch HD console. Through this display, you can surf the web, watch videos on YouTube, and simulate picturesque landscape views.
We hope that we have proved helpful information in our guide. Out of the five options, you can find something that will interest and help meet your body fitness objectives.
What to look for in a Folding Elliptical Machine
What to Look For
- Folding design
A shortage of space should not discourage you from achieving your workout objectives. Folding trainers, as seen from the above review, will save you on space. Some of the equipment available can even take half the area you had designated for your gym. Take measurements, if you must, as this will give you an insight into how much room the equipment will utilize.
Folding ellipticals weigh much less than the other comparable non-foldable designs. Besides, they are compact equipment that you can move with ease from the storage to the training area and back. Also, while checking on the component’s weight, be prepared to sacrifice on a few specs.
Ellipticals that fold retail at a price range that most trainees can afford. However, going for an elliptical on a tight budget may result in an item that does not have the product guarantees offered in pricey models. Nonetheless, with proper research, you cannot miss out on an elliptical that meets your expectations.
Numerous issues come to mind when you gauge the expected output of a folding elliptical machine. You need to ask yourself whether the equipment yields high or low impact workouts. At the same time, carry out some investigations on the brand reputation. Also, compare the product guarantees on the frame, parts, and labor.
An excellent way to find the best folding elliptical is by listing the features. Start by identifying what you would like your dream equipment to have. Also, make an allowance for specs that you may not need. For instance, if you need to keep hydrating your body while exercising, the equipment must have a place for holding your water bottle.
By living in a small house or apartment, you do not have the luxury that comes with having a generous space for physical training. Fortunately, you can get the best of the available space by purchasing foldable elliptical equipment. You can either keep it at the corner of your living room or fold the machine to half the size.
Most trainees assume, falsely, that a folding elliptical machine does not have the stability as the non-folding variant. Since the equipment has a collapsible frame, one can understand why such a concern arises. To avoid and overcome such doubt, do your homework extensively.
Regarding size, make sure that you measure the space where you intend to have the cardio equipment. Stride length, the space between the front and rear pedals, is another crucial aspect. Go for a stride length of between 18 and 20 inches.