The reason why many people still like theexercise bike or spinning cycle as its popularly known is that it’s the easier way to stay fit. People are still worried about going to the gym; they either don’t have the time or get demotivated. As a result, they lose out on cash paid when they sign up for spinning classes or gym memberships.
Upright Exercise Bikes
This type of bike has limited space between the seat and handlebars. The idea behind this is to encourage you to stand, lean forward off the seat and cycle. As a result, the seat is pretty small and is enough for you to sit down for a quick breather before you next power spinning session. It looks a lot like the seat you have on regular outdoor bikes.
You’ll notice that the handlebars are much higher than the height of the seat; this is to accommodate better grip while cycling upright. In these bikes, the weight of your entire body rests on your hands, glutes, legs, and feet as opposed to it being on the seat.
Recumbent Exercise Bikes
This is the comfortable exercise bikes and even has a reclining seat so you can lean back and your entire weight is distributed evenly across the legs, back. The seat looks like a small chair, complete with a back and bottom cushion and even arms on either side. Some might be fitted with front handlebars that are stationary or move and another set just under the seat.
In spite of variations in the features, the though is the same where yourlegs are extended in front of you to reach the pedals placed there instead of under your feet.
Which One is Better
- This really comes down to the requirements you have, whether you want to lose weight or help a senior citizen improve their physicality. When it comes to workload or burning calories, both bikes are useful. The only real difference is the positioning of your body when exercising. For example, if you have a bad back due to injury or muscle weakness, the recumbent one is better as the seat is fixed.If you need a serious workout with multiple speeds, modes then the upright stationary bike is your choice.
- Theupright exercise bikes have all the recumbent features but they are organized in a vertical way. What this does is lower the price you pay for one but still gives you a good workout.Firstly, the position of the body is upright or vertical. Upright bikes don’t have physical support for the back and long term use will take its toll on your back. These bikes are good forathletics and since they are smaller, more compact they don’t take up space in-home or residences.
- Upright bikes are a lot like normal bikes and are designed to get you to push yourself harder. The versatility though is unmatched and you can sit down and pedal or do it standing. In this way, you can vary the leg exercise you do and target more muscles.
- As for the seat, it’s the same as that of a normal bike and might be uncomfortable for those who are used to long exercising durations. It’s also not a good option for elderly people, chronic back pain sufferers. The center of gravity is higher here and might give you that feeling that you’re not stable on the bike and the chances of falling off as you get up to pedal are higher.
- But if you like comfort over intensive cardio, a recumbent is the way to go. They will assist you in losing weight and getting that cardio burn but without the strain associated with it. These bikes cost more and are usually bulky
- On the other hand, it will behorizontal on therecumbent bikes coupled with a seat that’s wide and larger. Next, you might not be able to stand up on the paddles of the recumbent bikes and this makes them safer to use. Other than reduced back strain, your hands are free to use and you can read a book, check your phone and gives you better balance as the seat is much closer to the ground. They might be easier to use but are less effective with weight loss or in giving you a good cardio workout.
Ultimately it’s all about assessing all the features and seats that the bikes have before buying them. As there are so many models, it’s impossible to pinpoint any one good brand or model. We recommend trying them out if possible – preferably only that’s got a removable seat so you can change it if you don’t like. And if the seat does get uncomfortable after using it for a while invest in some extra, detachable seats that you can buy online.