In Hollywood, Jared Leto is a master of many arts. Many people would recognize his name as the lead singer of the popular band 30 Seconds to Mars. Others still would know him from his portrayal of the Joker in the blockbuster Suicide Squad.
Juggling all these roles and his personal life requires almost superhuman strength. He has tours with the band, needs to prepare for roles, and directs shows and music videos. It is hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle with such a busy schedule, but Leto pulls it off admirably.
Jared Leto Workout Weekly Routine
Jared Leto is not your regular gym rat. He exercises regularly when the opportunity arises, but many factors come into play. For example, he once had to starve himself for the role of Ron in Dallas Buyers Club, so he could not work out as intensely as usual.
Soon after that, he needed to gain 60 pounds and keep in shape to play the Joker in Suicided Squad. During that time, he worked out 5 days a week, with 3 days of strength training and 2 of cardio and yoga. He still more or less sticks to it when he can.
His workouts for the week are intense, as you can see.
Day 1: Chest and Triceps
- 20 minutes of cardio on a bike set on low intensity.
- Pull-ups, 3 sets of 10 reps each.
- Push-ups, 3 sets of 15 reps each.
- Sit-ups, 3 sets of 20 reps each.
- Barbell bench press: 10, 8, 5. 5, 3; 5 sets in total.
- Supersets: 3 sets with 10 reps of triceps pushdown with triceps overhead extension on cables and no rest between sets.
- Incline dumbbell bench press: 10, 8, 5; 3 sets in total.
- Skull crushers; 3 sets of 10 reps each.
- Dips: 1st set unweighted for warm-up, then 3 more sets weighted, all with 15 reps each.
- Abs routine: 50 crunches, 25 leg lifts, 50 crunches, 25 V-ups.
Day 2: Yoga
10 miles biking or 1 hour of yoga or 1-2 hours of strenuous activity like hiking, surfing, tennis, etc.
Here we have a video that shows some Yoga poses that you can try.
Day 3: Shoulders and Legs
- Barbell squats: 10, 10, 5, 5, 3; a total of 5 sets.
- Arnold press: 3 sets of 10 reps each.
- Leg press: 3 sets of 10 reps each.
- Military press: 10, 8, 5, 5, 3; a total of 5 sets.
- Calf raises: 3 sets of 15 reps each.
- Superset: Shoulder front raise and lateral side raise with light dumbbells with 3 sets of 10 reps each. No rest between sets.
- Heavy shrugs: Barbell or dumbbell; 10, 15, 10; a total of 3 sets.
- Abs routine is the same as the first day.
Day 4: Cardio and Yoga
The same routine as the second day.
- The same warm-up as on the first day.
- Deadlifts: 10, 5, 5, 5, 3; a total of 5 sets.
- Weighted chin-ups: 3 sets of 10 reps each.
- Barbell bench-rows: 3 sets of 10 reps each. You can use a Smith machine.
- Dumbbell biceps curve: 10, 10, 8, 8, 5; a total of 5 sets.
- Lateral pull-downs – 3 sets of 10 reps each.
- Superset: Cable biceps curl and cable hammer curls, 3 sets with 15 reps each. No rest between sets.
Abs routine the say as the first day.
In addition to all this, Jared Leto also finds time daily to meditate. It helps keep him stress-free and energized.
Also Read: Lebron James Workout, Diet & Lifestyle
Jared Leto Diet
Leto’s diet is probably the most important aspect of his health through the punitive tours, brutal method acting and intense exercising.
He is a strict vegetarian and does not eat milk, eggs or other animal products. Nutritionally speaking, that means he has to be even more careful to make sure his body gets all the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
When on tour, he has a personal vegetarian chef who makes sure that he’s always set with the most delicious and healthy vegan meals. He’s also not a big eater and instead takes many light meals throughout the day.
Some of his favorite food includes popcorn, vegetables, and hot chocolate made with almond milk. Other foods that he’s big on include unsalted nuts, egg substitutes, olive oil, and organic fruit.
Apart from meat, dairy, and eggs, some of the foods that Leto abstains from include alcohol, refined foods and those with artificial ingredients. The same goes for foods with zero calories. He says that this is the only way to stay healthy in the long term.
You might like to Read: Gwen Stefani Workout, Diet & Lifestyle
Jared Leto Lifestyle
Apart from his more famous roles as the lead singer and guitarist for 30 Seconds to Mars, Jared leads a pretty interesting life. But first, did you know that the band sent a copy of their first single ‘Up In The Air’ to space? Courtesy of NASA, it was played on the International Space Station.
Jared also directs movies and music videos under a secret identity. Not surprisingly, he’s pretty good at it too.
Something else many people may not know is that Jared Leto is a big fan of technology and has significant investments in many startups and tech companies. These include Airbnb, Uber, Stripe, and Slack.
He also has his startups, including the more famous VyRT for musicians to create live experiences and share them online without having to go through labels.
Jared Leto has his plate full, and that requires very good time management. He says that ‘you need to get really good at saying no.’ By that, he means that you need to learn to prioritize: know what’s more important to you so that when conflicts happen, as they invariably do, you can choose wisely.
For those who feel like their schedules are simply crushing them so that they have no time for exercise or otherwise being healthy, this is a big lesson. Leto has shown that anything is possible. As young as he is, he’s surely headed for the stars.
Also read: Cristiano Ronaldo Workout, Diet & Lifestyle
Jared Leto is, for lack of a better word, sensational. He has made himself master of three of the most lucrative Hollywood niches and is not ready to stop yet. When you dive into his personal life, your respect for the man reaches the stratosphere.
He manages to take immensely intense workouts, is very disciplined in his diet, and is an all-round fun guy. A few borrowed leaves from his life are sure to add flavor to yours too.