The thing about most Hollywood ‘five-star’ workout regimes that we’ve seen is that they’re costly and take a lot of time.What’s interesting about the diet and workout plan followed by Jason Momoa, star or the Aquaman films, is that it’s pretty simple.
The‘massive man’ as he’s known in Hollywood circuits is already fit, but directors demanded the best as they wanted the Aquaman role to be larger than life, to produce a spectacular visual on-screen. So, to get those commendable cuts he wanted this routine to be energetic, fun and serious at the same time, something he achievedby adding different workouts on each day. That included boxing, climbing, surfing – and this is when he’s not on set.
On the set, however, he sticks with cardio and weight training; as cardio gave him bettermuscle definition and weight training helped him to bulk up.
We mentioned earlier on about Momoa’s love for climbing, so he made this a part of his routine with one-arm pulldowns.For top action stars, it’s all about the upper body, especially the arms and chest. Jason added these supersets.
When on set for Justice League, he did a lot of pull-ups and one hand pulldowns for his back. This is where he would descend those climber walls you have, one just one arm to suspend his entire body. When he felt the burn, on one hand, he switched to the other. These he did in reps of 10 to and then backward from 10 to 1.
With weight training, it was with low weights but fewer reps and less rest between each of those reps. The aims of these particularexercises were the lose weight quickly and build an impressive shape at a high tempo and pace resulting in better calorie burn.You have to alternate between these primary exercises.
- Pulls up using weight if you can manage them; starting with the smaller weight and graduate to the bigger ones.
- Push-ups, with the weights in the same way; when you push down,move one arm with the weight towards the opposite side of your chest and vice versa. You can try extending your arm straight above your shoulders while keeping your head face down.
- Weighted back squats, where you hold the biggest weight over your back and then do squats.
- Work on the core and abs by doing front levers on the push-up bars and then move your entire body upwards. It’s like horizontal pull-ups, only here the bars are higher and your legs are off the ground. Ask your trainer to start at a lower height and then increase the height as you get better.
- Finally, are weighted dips, this where you strap a weight over your hips and hold it between your knees and do dips. This is suggested only after you’ve mastered regular dips where you suspend yourself using bars and pull yourself up and down using just your arms keeping your lower legs off the ground.
Each of these exercises has to be repeated a certain number of times for consistency. If you focus too long on one type of exercise at a time you want the body you’re aiming for.
- 1st round – seven sets of seven reps with only seven seconds rest time between each.
- 2nd round – six sets of six reps with only six seconds rest time between each.
- 3rd round – five sets of five reps with only five seconds rest time between each.
And then wrap up each round with a minute of rest. Remember these three rounds are heavy intensity and are planned under the assumption that you’re already fit. If you’re just getting started at the gym to lose weight or bulk up, start with three rounds of 2,3,4 sets respectively.
Friday & Saturday: Intense Cardio Workout, which includes Hiking, Mountain Climbing and Surfing
Momoa said in an interview right after the Aquaman launch – ‘gradually increasing the weight gets you more shredded and builds lean muscles.’[/wpsm_pros][title_mod title_line=”small-line” title_name=”Meals fit for the King of Atlantis ” title_color=”#dd3333″ title_line_color=”#dd3333″]
Momoa was only able to do this routine provide he ate well…. and really well! Though the workouts and diets were altered with each film, he had to eat these foods to get the energy needed for all those excruciating workouts.He stuck to a diet that had a lot of green veggies, boiled chicken breasts and ocean fish (pun intended), as they have a higher Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids content.
But to keep a body fit for all roles in all films, he had to chuck the carbs, alcohol, sugar and everything processed. He did hang onto his Guinness beer and peanut butter & honey sandwiches.
- Jason Momoa trained with Mark Twight and followed the Gym Jones method.
- Here, you have to dedicate at least two hours each day for five to six days each week.
- The method requires you to work out intensely, rest and repeat your reps so you train for longer hours and don’t tire out that easily.
- Henry Cavill followed the same method for his role in the Man of Steel and Gerard Butler for 300, both directed by Zack Snyder who wanted all his stars to work with Twight.