Welcome to our review of the best Peloton heart rate monitors.
We tested a dozen heart rate monitors (HRMs) over 40 hours of cycling, and have chosen the top 7 best based on accuracy, comfort, value, and usability.
After struggling for months to see results with both weight loss and endurance, finally getting an accurate heart rate monitor was a TOTAL GAME CHANGER. The difference between knowing and guessing finally gave us the certainty we needed to achieve our fitness goals.
Now, ready to get the max from every workout? Let’s go.
Last update on 2021-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents
Read First: Why we recommend heart rate monitors to every indoor cyclist
“$100 for a WHAT?”
“NO WAY AM I BUYING THAT”.
We love our Peloton more than any bike we’ve ever owned, but it wasn’t cheap. We couldn’t bring ourselves to spend another $100+ on a heart monitor.
It just felt like one of those “expensive throw-ins” that wasn’t worth it at all.
Case closed. Not going to buy it.
But then we hit a plateau with our workouts.
The first 3 months with the Peloton was CRAZY. The weight was melting off. But the next 3? Almost nothing.
We tried everything.
We cycled longer – didn’t work.
We cycled harder – exhaustion set in and we missed workouts.
So we asked a friend who’s a fitness buff for advice.
He told us to “cut out sugar, red wine only on weekends, and get a heart monitor”.
“A Heart What…? Really? Are they worth it?” – we weren’t really sure.
“Oh yeah, total game-changer. It’ll change your workout completely.” came the pat reply.
He explained that a heart rate monitor ensures you get the most benefit out of every workout while minimizing risk.
If you try too hard, you risk injury or hurt your next workout. If you try too little, you’re basically wasting all the hard work you put into your workout.
Distance, speed, calories_all those metrics are important but what really matters is how hard your heart is working – especially for endurance.
Without one, you’re just guessing.
We’ve had one for more than 4 months now…
He was right. Total game changer.
Our Heart Rate Monitor tells us exactly how hard we’re working and exactly how many calories we burned every workout.
Now we know when to work harder and when to slow it down and prevent overtraining. And we have an accurate calorie count so we know when we can slip in an extra snack or two.
The best part? It’s so motivating. It’s easy to lie to yourself, but an HRM doesn’t lie. When it shows a low heart rate, that’s a sign to kick it up a notch. If you see proof, you won’t be able to make excuses.
We finally beat that plateau and feel incredible. The only regret we have is not buying one sooner.
Totally worth it.
We also did some more research on Heart Rate Monitors. Even Harvard Medical School says they are pretty darn useful. Well if the smart guys think so, who were we to argue.
Here we have a video that explains the importance of heart rate monitor during workouts.
The 7 Best Peloton Heart Monitors According to Our Testing
Without further ado, let us check out the products that really moved the needle when it came to heart rate monitors.
#1 Garmin Dual Heart Rate Monitor – For Versatile Cyclists
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner for the best Peloton heart monitor: the Garmin Dual Heart Rate Monitor It is one is by far the most versatile. It’s just as accurate as its predecessor (Garmin Heart Rate Monitor), but compatible with far more machines and apps. Plus it covers far more metrics.
It’s a lot more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
We highly recommend it for anyone that’s more than just a weekend Peloton warrior. Connect it to Wahoo and head to the gym, go cycling, run on the track, or even hit the pool (it’s water-resistant down to 10m).
One huge plus is that it connected instantly with my Peloton without any issues. A bunch of straps search for ages, disconnect during the workout, or just riddle you with headaches all day.
We had zero issues.
If you plan on going hard in the gym, at home, on the track, or at the pool, this belt was made for you.
Key Benefits and Features:
- Take it anywhere: Compatible with dozens of apps and machines. Great for indoor and outdoor cycling, swimming, and sports.
- Real-time data: Just as fast as the HRM dual, so you get the same instant, accurate data.
- Lasts forever (kind of): Lasts for 3 and a half years at an average of one hour per day. No charging needed.
- Fits everyone: The adjustable strap works for everyone from small sizes to bodybuilders.
# Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor
We found the Scosche Rhythm heart rate monitor the best wrist strap-on. You no longer have to suffer itchy, bulky, inaccurate chest straps again.
The world’s most accurate, breathable, and convenient heart monitor stood head and shoulders above all challengers during our testing. It’s the only heart rate monitor on our list made with PerformTek, the sole biotechnology proven to provide accurate, actionable data no matter the exercise or intensity.
Our favorite part was that, unlike pretty much every other heart rate monitor, it straps right onto your wrist rather than going across your chest. For you, that means way less slippage, no rashes, and no “I can’t breathe!!!” feeling when you’re running.
Plus it’s compatible with popular health and fitness apps like Runkeeper and Strava, so you aren’t limited to just your Peloton if you want to take it elsewhere.
It’s the only heart rate monitor on our list that checks all the boxes.
- You won’t even notice it’s there: No bulky chest straps. No heavy bands. No rashes or readjustments. This bad boy slips right on your arm and the strap is super breathable. You won’t even notice it while you’re cycling.
- Accurate: PerformTek technology has been rigorously tested in all environments and exercise types to relay accurate data. You won’t have to keep guessing or worrying if your numbers are right.
- Versatile: Hook it up to Runkeeper, Strava, Mapmyfitness – you name it. You can directly inject accurate workout data into any app to get a clearer picture of your progress and goals.
There’s a reason we love wearing this one every time we get on the Peloton.
It’s not perfect though:
- It’s not cheap by any means
- The band collects dust
- It’s not super innovative
- Requires charging
It might not have as many features as a smartwatch, but as far as classic HRMs go, there’s no rival.
#3 Garmin Heart Rate Monitor
As far as Peloton Heart Rate Monitors go, you can’t really go wrong with Garmin. If you are looking for a no-nonsense heart rate monitor that does its job, this model from Garmin should suffice.
Its long battery life means you will not run out of juice for three years (one hour of usage per day). The adjustable strap means that it is great for all body tupes.
We do have to warn you, though. It seems that Garmin is going to stop producing this and focus on the Dual.
The reason it makes to our list of the best Peloton heart rate monitors is the hefty discount (liquidation?) being offered by Garmin at the time of writing this piece. So if you are able to snag it while it is going real cheap, go for it.
Although, there is a fair likelihood that by the time you are reading this, Garmin has stopped selling this model and in that case, you can just skip to the next heart rate monitor on our list.
Features and Benefits
- Technology: This heart rate monitor has excellent system compatibility and makes extensive use of 2.4 GHz ANT wireless communications protocol and BLUETOOTH Wireless Technology 5.0. The heart rate measures are highly accurate and instant.
- Strap: Garmin HRM-Dual has a very soft and adjustable strap which doesn’t cause any rashes or allergic reaction to the skin and also ensure comfort while you wear it. The belt has an adjustable length from 25 to 52 inches, which can easily fit different people.
- Battery Life: This device has an exceptional battery life lasting up to 3.5 years, so you don’t need to worry about running out of battery. Also, the batteries are user-replaceable.
- Water-resistance: The strap is water-resistant. Also, upon removal of the detachable monitor, the strap can be easily washed with any general detergent.
#4 Polar OH1+ Optical Heart Rate Sensor – For Athletes
200 hours of training memory, pinpoint accurate metrics, the world’s leading athletic tracking app – the Polar OH1+ was designed for athletes, hardcore cyclists, and anyone with lofty fitness aspirations.
If you want the same tech that swimmers, skiers, basketball players, and adventure athletes wear to get them in killer shape, this is it.
There are few things that set Polar apart from competitors:
- More sensors: 6 LED sensors ensure razor-sharp data and empower you to make better, more accurate health decisions. We felt comfortable and confident in the data every time it came in.
- Connect to the world’s leading app: The Polar app turns your phone into an elite fitness tracker with 100+ sport profiles, GPS tracking, and even real-time voice guidance.
- No watch needed: Polar’s HRM comes with a head strap for swimming or running. You can get data right from your temple rather than strapping anything across your chest or arms.
Here are a few of the drawbacks our team complained about:
- There was some grumbling the head strap was uncomfortable. But nothing to put us off using it.
- No display – but hey you can’t have everything for this cheap
- The Polar app has a high learning curve. But if you’re an athlete you should be putting in the work!
You might like to read: Best Heart Rate Monitor For Running
#5 POLAR H9 Heart Rate Sensor
POLAR H9 Heart Rate Sensor provides consistent and credible calorie counts and heart rate measurements. It leverages Bluetooth and ANT+ technology to provide reliable results.
The Polar H9 chest-band remains durable even after long periods of use due to its high-quality strap. And unlike pretty much every other strap, it’s actually comfortable.
Features and Benefits
- Technology: Bluetooth and ANT+ provide instant and reliable calorie count and heart rate measurements. It’s exactly the analysis you need to help set future goals.
- Connectivity: It’s compatible with various Android and iOS devices. It can also be easily connected with smartwatches and various fitness tracking applications.
- Strap: POLAR H9 Heart Rate Sensor’s high-quality polyester ensures a comfortable and soothing workout. There is no chance of any skin rashes or allergies due to sweat as the strap is sweat-proof.
- Washable: The strap along with the monitor remains water-resistant up to 30 m. Also, the belt can be easily removed and can be hand-washed or machine-washed.
Why should you buy it?
POLAR H9 Heart Rate Sensor is an ideal substitute for the OH1+ if you need to save some cash. Otherwise, just go with the OH1+. It’s better in every way.
#6 CooSpo Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap – The Cheapest Option
CooSpo Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap is as cheap as it gets without ruining quality. This is a waterproof premium fitness accessory that uses Bluetooth ANT+ technology for easy and accurate transmission of heart rates, thereby tracking the overall performance.
We don’t recommend you go any cheaper than this. If you’re on a budget, it’s perfectly fine. Get it now, save your money, and upgrade later.
Features and Benefits
- Technology: CooSpo Heart Rate Monitor’s Bluetooth 4.0 ANT+ technology tracks and captures real-time heart rate and sends instantaneous information to the transmitter..
- Compatibility: It’s compatible with several third-party workout apps. The connection can be established by merely turning on the Bluetooth.
- Strap: The soft textile belt seamlessly adapts to your body shape and does not hamper your comfort or movement. The strap remains durable and has a long life withstanding the regular wear and tear.
- Easy to use: This heart rate monitor is very easy to use and can be simply put-on by moistening the chest strap’s plastic electrode areas. After this, it can be easily connected to your fitness app. Thus you can enjoy a comfortable and fruitful workout.
Why should you buy it?
This heart rate monitor is for anyone who needs to seriously save money like student-athletes or complete beginners who don’t need any extra features. If you just want to test out a cheap heart rate monitor, this is perfectly fine. Though we highly recommend spending more money to get a good one.Check Latest Price
You might like to read: Best Heart Rate Monitor For Swimming
Buyer’s Guide: Best Peloton Heart Rate Monitors
There’s a lot that goes into buying a heart rate monitor, especially if you’re using it for cycling. We highly recommend going with our #1 product, but if you aren’t quite sure yet, read this guide thoroughly.
With this knowledge, you’ll be able to better identify the crucial aspects of each model and evaluate your purchasing decision.
The more advanced the HRM the better – obviously. Since you’re using it for accurate, real-time transmission to improve your fitness goals, you must have accurate data.
Don’t buy any model without 2.4Ghz ANT, Bluetooth 5.0, or 6-LED. This is as good as it gets on the market and absolutely necessary for accurate transmission. Anything less won’t be fast or accurate enough.
Pretty straightforward here. Please make sure your HRM is compatible with Peloton. Just do a quick check to make sure. Anything else is icing on the cake
The strap quality decides how long you’ll be able to wear the heart rate monitor, whether it may be on your arm or chest. The quality of the strap must be excellent to avoid any skin allergies or rashes. Thankfully, Scoche, Garmin, and Polar make ultra-comfortable, breathable straps.
Peloton Heart rate monitors should have a high battery life so that the user can use the device freely for long workout sessions. Also, the battery should be user-replaceable. In rechargeable batteries, the battery should last at least up to 30-40 hours. Also, the packaging should contain the corresponding USB charging cable for user-convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Peloton Heart Rate Monitors
Does it store the previously recorded data?
Yes, the heart rate monitor keeps a track record of your previous data to provide you with a better analysis of your training strategies.
Can any individual replace the batteries of a heart rate monitor?
Yes, the batteries are user-replaceable and can be easily replaced by only taking out the old ones and putting the new ones in the right position. Also, the monitors usually tend to have long battery life for user convenience.
How do I connect my Peloton to a heart rate monitor?
To connect, the Peloton to heart rate monitor simply turn on your Bluetooth-enabled device, and you will be able to view your heart rate live from your phone or tablet whenever you are in a class.Also, keep a note that the leads should be slightly wet for chest strap models to pick up your heart rate best.
Can I use Airpods with a peloton?
Airpods are compatible with your Peloton bike screen, hence suitable for peloton usage. Airpods also feature noise cancelation, which delivers you a clear sound during your workout, and you will not have to slow down to listen. You definitely won’t get any sweat issues on it, thus comfortable throughout the exercise.
For fitness freaks and athletes, heart rate monitors can be used to reach a target heart rate zone or range, thus optimizing their workouts. The device ensures that you reach your maximal output. You can also monitor how your heart rate accelerates and recovers.
In our opinion, the Garmin HRM-Dual is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it extensively uses dual-Bluetooth ANT+ technology, which is compatible with Peloton Bikes to generate accurate and instant results. Also, it has a high battery life, which is user-replaceable.
The Scosche Rhythm+ Heart Rate Monitor... is our next best choice because this revolutionary device is compatible with Peloton bikes and accurately monitors heart rate allowing you to take necessary corrective actions and maximize your workout.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the CooSpo Heart Rate Monitor Chest... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.